Thursday, April 20, 2017

Carol Weston

Carol Weston's new book is Speed of Life.

From her Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: How did you come up with the idea for Speed of Life, and for your main character, Sofia?

A: For me, a novel is like a plant. It grows slowly and needs a lot of tending and pruning. I came up with the idea for Speed of Life because I knew a young mother in Spain who died of an aneurysm.

While I missed my friend, my heart broke for her young daughter. I’m an advice columnist and I often hear from girls who are grieving and are utterly bereft and at sea. So I wanted to shine a light on that terrible abyss but also to give hope.

Sometimes girls email me at Girls’ Life and say, “My dad died a month ago and I’m still sad. When will I get over it?” The answer is that you never get over the death of a beloved parent, but...[read on]
Visit Carol Weston's website.

The Page 69 Test: Ava and Pip.

The Page 69 Test: Speed of Life.

Writers Read: Carol Weston.

--Marshal Zeringue