Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Ellen Meeropol

Ellen Meeropol's new novel is Kinship of Clover.

From her Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: How did you come up with the idea for your new novel, and for your character Jeremy's relationship with plants?

A: I already knew Jeremy from my first novel, House Arrest, where he was a sensitive and shy 9-year-old. I wanted to see how he had grown, how he had survived his oddball childhood, so I imagined him 11 years later as a college biology major.

I had become very concerned about climate change, was reading widely about the science and politics, and that reading no doubt informed Jeremy’s obsession with plant species loss.

Writing Jeremy’s magical connection with plants just happened. That’s the beauty of the writing process, that we can open ourselves to ways of seeing and telling that are not our usual language.

The first day I wrote a scene with the plants burrowing under Jeremy’s skin, I was sitting with a group of writers in a library “writing room.” I was totally surprised by the actions of the plants. While I...[read on]
Visit Ellen Meeropol's website.

See Meeropol's list of five political novels to change the world.

Writers Read: Ellen Meeropol (February 2011).

--Marshal Zeringue