Saturday, November 17, 2018

Liane Moriarty

Liane Moriarty's new novel is Nine Perfect Strangers.

From the transcript of her interview with NPR's Lulu Garcia-Navarro:

GARCIA-NAVARRO: You can tell in this book that you were clearly interested in how this idea of wellness functions in modern life. You know, we use words like self care all the time. What do you think people are looking for?

MORIARTY: So there's two sides to it. I think that in the modern world, we do seem to have so many more insecurities and, you know, mental health - mental illnesses. So we're all suffering from more anxiety and depression. But at the same time, I often wonder, is it because life is, really, so very good for the vast majority of us? And that's why you're looking for denial. Maybe, you know, if we were living in a war zone, then you're not thinking of, how can I transform myself? You're just thinking of survival. So is that part of it?

GARCIA-NAVARRO: You bring up a point because your books, in many ways, I think, are about the problems and hypocrisies of sort of the upper-middle class. But it's always written with a lot of affection.

MORIARTY: Yes, that's right. And that's exactly the way I feel about the wellness industry. So I believe in mindfulness. And I believe in...[read on]
Visit Liane Moriarty's website.

The Page 69 Test: What Alice Forgot.

Writers Read: Liane Moriarty (June 2011).

My Book, The Movie: What Alice Forgot.

--Marshal Zeringue