Saturday, August 17, 2019

Alex Segura

Alex Segura's new novel is Miami Midnight.

From his Q&A with Steph Post at CrimeReads:

Steph Post: Alright, let’s just dive right on in the deep end. Miami Midnight is the fifth, and last, Pete Fernandez novel. Readers have been following your Miami PI for a few years now and with this final installment, the curtain falls on Pete, the lights dim and the show packs up and goes home. Is this knowledge bittersweet for you? Does a part of you find it hard to let go of Pete? Or do you feel confident that it’s time to put Pete to rest?

Alex Segura: You know, I’m torn, because on one hand, I’m excited to move on and do other things in terms of novels, but as I started to wind down the story of Miami Midnight I found my pace slowing, because I was starting to savor writing these characters, and I’d have moments where I’d think to myself, “this might be the last time you write Pete and Kathy together” or “this could be your last Dave scene,” and that’s when I realized how big a part of my life these characters have been over the last decade, almost. That said, when I set out to write Silent City, I wanted to write a story that felt unique and compelling to me—the origin story of the series PI. I was less interested in the “case of the week/evergreen” story, where it’s more about a given adventure and less about the person. And with Miami Midnight, I feel like I did that. Pete goes out in a meaningful way, and...[read on]
Visit Alex Segura's website.

The Page 69 Test: Blackout.

Writers Read: Alex Segura (May 2018).

--Marshal Zeringue