Sunday, March 10, 2024

Melanie Maure

Melanie Maure holds a Master’s in Counselling Psychology and lives in central British Columbia. She is second generation Irish and spends a great deal of time in Ireland, which is an enduring source of inspiration for her work.

Sisters of Belfast is Maure's debut novel.

My Q&A with the author:

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The title Sisters of Belfast encompasses the story quite well. If anyone is interested in stories set in Ireland and or the complex connection between sisters, then they will know what to expect to a certain extent. This was not the original wking title, which was far more obscure—lovely but obscure. And thanks to my brilliant editor, who knows the world of books and the importance of a title, especially for a debut novel, we came up with Sisters of Belfast to draw the reader in. Perhaps the original title will work for a second or third book!

What's in a name?

I adore the lyrical sound of an Irish name. Aelish was initially Aoife, but I knew from my experience as a reader that a tricky name can cause a reader to stumble, disrupting the flow if they are unfamiliar with the pronunciation. Aelish, like her name, is a subtle yet complex character. She is soft and still holds an internal power. Looking back now, I cannot see her with any other name. Izzy, on the other hand, is straightforward with sharper edges. And so the sound of the name suited her. Choosing names is the most fun part for me as a writer, and it is how I meet them and form them in my mind. I’m not sure if other authors are this obsessed with the names, but I certainly am. It is where I begin.

How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your new novel?

As a diehard Stephen King fan, I know my teenage self would be surprised. And she would probably have something snarky to say about the book’s exploration of spirituality, seeing as I thought I had it all figured out at that age. I was a know-it-all little punk who wanted to be as far away from her mother’s religious beliefs as possible. Hmm? Sounds like Isabel.

Do you find it harder to write beginnings or endings? Which do you change more?

Endings are more difficult as I love a book that wraps things up nicely and with respect to the story. This can be difficult to do when you have so many characters in the story. I also don’t like to feel rushed into an ending when reading. You can feel it when a writer is rushing to finish, and it can be dissatisfying. I understand the need for a great beginning to bring a reader in, and I feel that a great ending will keep them coming back for more.

While the beginnings are easier to write, they definitely get more editing and tightening. By the time I get to the end of a story, I am deeply intimate with the story and its characters, and so the beginning needs a deeper polish to reflect this depth of intimacy that has grown over several years. It is like bending a straight line into a circle and ensuring the ends match up.

What non-literary inspirations have influenced your writing?

Music is and always has been central to my life. I am one of those freaky people who can hear a song once, maybe twice, and will remember the lyrics. If I could choose any other form of written expression, it would be to write song lyrics. This pertains to my writing because I adore a song that immediately throws me into an emotional state. This is what I strive to create in my writing. I hope my readers feel deeply and remember the characters after leaving this fictional world.

Just like songs have a unique feel, I believe a great book has the same power. There are certain books I have read through the years, and although I may not be able to recall specific details, I remember well how it felt to be in the story.
Visit Melanie Maure's website.

The Page 69 Test: Sisters of Belfast.

My Book, The Movie: Sisters of Belfast.

--Marshal Zeringue