Sunday, March 17, 2024

Sydney Leigh

Sydney Leigh has had a myriad of jobs, from running a small business to teaching English across the globe. She has travelled the world solo, where her daring spirit has led her to jump out of airplanes, dive with sharks, and learn she would never master a surfboard. Leigh served on the Board of Directors for Crime Writers of Canada from 2019-2021. She is a member of Sisters in Crime and International Thriller Writers.

Leigh's new novel is Peril in Pink.

My Q&A with the author:

How much work does your title do to take readers into the story?

The title of my book, Peril in Pink lets the reader know two key things. First, that something bad is going to happen. It’s a murder mystery, so that’s a plus. Second, that the book has a fun vibe. This is a story about Jess, a woman who quits her job and partners with her best friend, Kat, to open a Bed & Breakfast. Jess and Kat paint all of the doors of the B & B pink to help establish their brand (and the title of the book!). Of course, when someone is murdered during the opening weekend, Jess feels compelled to get involved and becomes an amateur sleuth in the process.

No one is going to read the title and think this is an angst-fueled spy novel or a literary thriller (two genres I love to read but cannot write). Like the story, the title is light and playful.

My working title as I wrote the book was Petty in Pink, a play off of the 1980s movie, Pretty in Pink. The publisher changed it and I was okay with the change since Petty in Pink could imply a variety of genres. I want readers to know this is a crime fiction novel, albeit one without graphic violence. Known as a cozy mystery, the title suggests no tissues will be needed while reading this book.

How surprised would your teenage reader self be by your novel?

My teenage self would be very surprised by my novel. In high school I was a horror fan, through and through. If I had to predict which genre I’d write, it would be horror without a doubt. But adult me doesn’t have the stomach to write such things. While I still enjoy reading and watching horror, I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I was thinking about things that scared me all night.

Do you find it harder to write beginnings or endings? Which do you change more?

I love to write the beginnings. It sets the tone, and kicks off the fun. My favorite part of writing is the banter between characters and the start of my books are full of that. Ensuring all the loose ends are settled and solved is trickier. Not that I mind it, either. But it’s tougher for me to write and I definitely end up changing it more.

Do you see much of yourself in your characters? Do they have any connection to your personality, or are they a world apart?

The funny thing is the more I write the more I become like my amateur sleuths. I don’t mean getting involved with murder investigations, but I ask more questions and allow my curiosity space to bloom and grow. I love asking people questions that I may not have had the courage to ask before. Nothing mean-spirited or too personal, but I’m curious to understand people’s reactions and feelings.

I also love trying new things which is what got me into writing in the first place. My characters, on the other hand, are more set in their ways. Also, I’d say I’m more reserved than Jess. Although we both have a goofy side. When I’m not writing, for example, I enjoy taking improv classes. To have a space where silliness and imagination runs free appeals to me. Not so sure Jess would enjoy doing something so out of her comfort zone.

What non-literary inspirations have influenced your writing?

I love reality TV. There, I admitted it. Selling Sunset, Love is Blind. Yes please. That’s not all. I love seeing movies in theatres because I’m completely absorbed into the story. All genres. And TV has lots of great stuff I enjoy. I love Murder, She Wrote, The Goldbergs, RuPaul’s Drag Race, and Never Have I Ever, to name a few. And my favorite podcast, My Favorite Murder, is definitely an influence.
Visit Sydney Leigh's website.

--Marshal Zeringue