Thursday, June 11, 2009

Matthew Amster-Burton

From a Q & A with Matthew Amster-Burton, author of Hungry Monkey: A Food-Loving Father's Quest to Raise an Adventurous Eater:

Who are you, Matthew Amster-Burton, and why are you qualified to write about kids’ eating habits?

I am the world’s foremost expert on child development. Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration, but I have one child, Iris, who is now four and a half, and she has taught me a lot about how to eat. Before Iris was born, I was working as a restaurant critic for a daily newspaper in Seattle, going out to eat several nights a week and not paying for any of it. You probably think this is the world’s best job. I’m not going to deny it. But after Iris joined me and my wife, Laurie, at the dinner table when she was nine months old, I started thinking about a new line of work. Now I make dinner for the family almost every night and write a lot about home cooking and feeding kids.

What exactly is a “hungry monkey”?

It’s what I started calling Iris one day when...[read on]
Visit the Hungry Monkey website.

--Marshal Zeringue