Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mark Terry

Mark Terry is the author of three Derek Stillwater novels, The Devil's Pitchfork, The Serpent's Kiss, and The Fallen, as well as two standalone novels, Dirty Deeds and Dancing in the Dark.

From a Q & A at his website:

Who are your influences?

Presumably this question refers to literary influences, otherwise I have to say my parents, my brother, my sister, my wife, my children, my dog, every teacher I've ever had, every person I've every met, every book I've ever read...

In terms of literary influences, I got my inspiration to try writing from an essay by Stephen King called something like "The Making of a Brand Name." But the writers who most influence my writing style and the types of stories I like to write are Robert B. Parker, Sue Grafton, David Morrell, the late Ross Thomas, John Sandford, Dick Francis. I like what I guess you could call a propulsive type of writing--I want the plot to move right along, in other words. But the list of writing influences never really ends and it's best not to get me started unless there's a cold beverage in front of me. In which case I'd be glad to talk books for hours or until the bartender kicks us out. Randy Wayne White, Peter Lefcourt, J.A. Konrath, Elmore Leonard, Lawrence Block, Paul Levine...
Read the complete Q & A.

Read chapters 1-6 of The Fallen, and learn more about the book and author at Mark Terry's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: The Fallen.

--Marshal Zeringue